Barley bread. I wasn’t particularly excited about this one but it turned out really well and the barley hulls in the barley flour I used added some nice texture.
- Recipe chosen for ječmeni hljeb
- Cooking method: Oven
- Faithfulness to recipe: Yes
- Met expectations? Exceeded, actually. I thought this would be a little bland or wouldn’t cook so well.
- Would cook again? Yes, it was quite tasty and we ate it plain, and with cheese and cheese spread.
- The taste test rated on a score of 5: 4
- 250g barley flour (“ječmeno”)
- 250g wheat flour (all purpose)
- 7 grams instant yeast
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 500ml lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp oil
For the egg wash
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp milk
- Handful of sesame seeds
- Mix barley and wheat flour together in a large bowl.
- Add the lukewarm water to a separate bowl and then add yeast, salt, sugar and oil, and let it foam for about 10 minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture into the flour and whisk well with a spoon.
- Let the dough rise until about doubled (~1 hour depending on the room temperature)
- Form the dough into a bowl and knead using some additional flour if the dough is sticky.
- Make the egg wash and shape the bread into an oval shape and put it into a greased pan. Brush with bread with the wash and sprinkle the seeds over it.
- Let the bread rise once more (another hour)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 ° C for about 40 minutes.